Are you a technical lead who wants to make a difference and help cure cancer? We are a small, lively team of software engineers and computational scientists committed to agile development practices. Thousands of researchers across the globe use our tools and services to process petabytes of data to advance science and medicine. We build elastic, service-based technology platforms to dramatically improve the world’s understanding of human health and enable new treatments. We employ our craft to provide world-class, scalable, cloud-based data resources and pipelines to drive scientific discovery and improve human health.
We are a core part of the Broad Institute, a deeply collaborative scientific institution that is transforming medicine and human health by building software solutions to process and analyze scientific data on an unprecedented scale. No medical, genomics, or scientific background is required, just an enthusiasm to improve the world of science and medicine, an ability to write exceptional software, and the ability to collaborate with scientists.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Apply their existing data engineering expertise to build infrastructure and services that host and enable pipelines that generate data for their scientific communities.
- Thrive on working in a collaborative, team-based setting and interacting with stakeholders at other institutions around the world.
- Are motivated by setting technical direction, contributing to cross-team initiatives, and coordinating the work of others in the team
- Enjoy solving complicated problems and appreciate effective software development practices.
- Have good attention to detail and take pride in the software produced.
- Be able to work independently but know when to ask for support to deliver working software.
- Be interested to learn about sequencing, genomics and the scientific work of the Broad Institute.
- Be excited about engaging with scientists and other stakeholders.
Sound like you? If so, we’d like to talk to you to tell you more about the position and the scientific work being done at the Broad Institute.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant work experience
- 4+ years of Software Development experience is preferred, though exceptional candidates with less will be considered.
- Experience delivering clear, maintainable, and well-tested software in a timely manner.
- Experience with or interest in working with a wide variety of technologies and on diverse problems.
- Experience working with users to develop and document requirements.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with mentoring team members and giving timely, actionable feedback.
- Experience influencing the technical direction of a team and/or product
Any of the following is a plus:
- Server development experience
- Familiarity with databases and SQL programming
- Familiarity with Clojure or any functional programming language
- Familiarity with cloud environments (eg., GCP, Azure, AWS, etc.).
- Familiarity with big data processing pipelines (e.g., Google Pipelines API, WDL, CWL, Docker).
- Familiarity with containers and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Helm).
- Experience troubleshooting complex distributed systems.
What we offer:
- A fun, collaborative and mission-driven environment
- A welcoming and inclusive work culture
- Comprehensive benefits package: Vacation (including sick time), health/dental care, matching 401K, commuter benefits, child care etc…
- The chance to have a real impact on the advancement of science and medicine